UniData provides two kind of data access:
- open data
(all users can use the data - an expense allowance could be required)
- restricted data
(the data use is limited - see below)
longitudinal (trend repeated cross-section)
SIC - Security of citizens
The survey Security of Citizens relates to the detection of certain offenses against the person and against property ( the number of victims, the propensity to report crimes and their motivations, the dynamics of the crime ), the perception of security in their living environment , the socio-environmental degradation of the area where you live and the protection measures adopted by families to protect their homes. It also detects the data on sexual harassment and sexual harassment on the job and the difficulties in relationships in the workplace.
The questionnaire, very detailed, is divided into the following sections:
- time outside home and the perception of security;
- screening individual offenses: robbery (perpetrated and attempted), pickpocketing (perpetrated and attempted), theft of personal property (perpetrated and attempted), robbery (perpetrated and attempted);
- in-depth analysis for the crime: theft;
- in-depth analysis for the offense: pickpocketing;
- in-depth analysis for the crime: theft of personal items;
- in-depth analysis for the crime: robbery;
- in-depth analysis for the offense: cloning, scams;
- in-depth analysis for the offense: threats, assault;
- screening family offenses: burglary, theft of objects external to the main and secondary house, trespassing, theft of vehicle, theft of motor vehicle parts and objects in vehicles, vandalism against the house, vehicles, or other properties, animal theft and abuse;
- in-depth analysis for the crime: theft of vehicle;
- in-depth analysis for the crime: theft of motor vehicle parts and objects into vehicles;
- in-depth analysis for the crime: burglary and theft of items external to the home;
- in-depth analysis for the crime: trespassing;
- in-depth analysis for the crime: sexual harassment, sexual harassment at work, distress in labor relations;
- home security systems.
It’s possible to perform analysis on individuals, families and on the characteristics of individual offenses.
In order to optimize the time of use of the dataset (exclusively distributed from ISTAT for not member users), UniData offers a service of convertion from ASCII format to the main statistical software format (SPSS, Stata, R or SAS). For detailed information visit the Services for Istat Data page.
Geographical Unit: size community
Analysis Unit: individual, family, event/process
Universe: whole national population
Sample Procedure: about 60.000 families. Two-stage stratified random sample
Weight: Weight used. Please read the documentation for any details
Collection Mode: Computer-Assisted Telephone Interviewing (CATI)
Collection Size: UniData supplies: 2 datasets in SPSS format (file ISTAT A: regional code and geographic division; file ISTAT B: geographic division and municipality width); 1 questionnaire in PDF format (ita); 1 methodological notes in PDF format; 1 codebook in Excel format (ita) (5 file)
|Methodological Notes (pdf):||Codebook (xls):|
Data Use Restriction:
Data are available only for members of UniData. Data are released only for scientific purpose. User agrees not to redistribute data to the third party, even in partial form, and to quote the data source in all publications using the information showed later. Other users will need to directly contact Istat.
Source Contact: Contact Centre
ISTAT. (2008-2009) Multiscopo ISTAT – Security of Citizens. UniData - Bicocca Data Archive, Milan. Study Number SN107. Data file release 1.0
The user is obliged to quote all data and documents disseminated by UniData and used in the own publications, using the information previously showed. The user is also obliged to send UniData the bibliographic citations related to the publications where the requested data and documents are used.
Neither the depositor nor UniData bear any responsibility for the analysis or interpretation of the data produced by the user.