UniData provides two kind of data access:
- open data
(all users can use the data - an expense allowance could be required)
- restricted data
(the data use is limited - see below)
Thanks to an agreement with the Department of Equal Opportunities in 2011 the National Institute of Statistics (ISTAT) has carried out the first survey on discriminations by gender, sexual orientation and ethnic origin. The main objective was fill the data gap on the prevalence and the characteristics of discrimination in Italy, especially with reference to three dimensions: gender, sexual orientation and ethnic origin.
The survey was designed to achieve two aims: on the one hand, to collect data on opinions and attitudes toward gender roles, homosexuality and immigration; on the other hand, to estimate the number of persons who experienced discrimination at school and at work (also including the job seeking).
For the first time through this survey Istat collects information on the sexual orientation of respondents, trough an ad hoc set of questions.
The survey was conducted with CAPI (Computer Assisted Personal Interview) and, in order to protect the sensitive data, SAQ (Self Administered Questionnaire).
The CAPI questionnaire consists of following six thematic sections:
- Section 1 – Information on selected component: information on family of origin; marital status and family conditions; educational level; profession and sector of economy activity.
- Section 2 – Opinions on gender: male and female roles in the daily life; household and care activities; social and economic conditions of men and women in the society; advantages/disadvantages on own gender.
- Section 3 – Discriminations: relevant episodes of discriminations in school environment; discriminations in work environment; discriminations in daily life.
- Section 4 – Opinions on migrants: presence of migrants; agree/disagree on some specifics situations in daily life; proximity and social relations towards foreign population.
- Section 5 – Opinions on homosexuals: presence of homosexuals; advantages/disadvantages on sexuality; discriminations towards homosexuals; agree/disagree on some specifics situations in daily life; proximity and social relations towards homosexuals; attitudes towards transsexuals.
- Section 6 – Information on the other family components: marital status and family conditions; educational level; profession and sector of economy activity.
The SAQ questionnaires have collected information about religious beliefs, sexuality, partner relationship and possible discriminations for own sexuality.
Data are available for free in CSV format (registration required). After logging in, please click on the green button in the box at the right.
In order to optimize the time of use of the dataset, UniData offers a service of conversion in the statistical software format (SPSS, Stata, R or SAS). For detailed information visit the Services for Istat Data page.
For members, instead, data are available in the main formats used by the software for the statistical analysis.
Keywords: family, labour, immigration, gender, security
Geographical Unit: geographical area
Analysis Unit: individual
Universe: whole italian polulation between 18 and 74 years old
Sample Procedure: About 6.000 individuals. Multi-stage stratified random sample
Weight: Weight used. Please read the documentation for any details
Collection Mode: self-administered questionnaire, Computer-Assisted Personal Interviewing (CAPI)
Collection Size: UniData supplies: 1 dataset in SPSS (members only) or CSV (other users) format; 1 questionnaire in PDF format (ita); 1 PDF file with methodological notes (ita); 1 ZIP file with codebook (ita) and 1 PDF file with data archive notes (ita) (5 file)
|Methodological Notes (pdf):||Codebook (zip):||Data Archive Notes (pdf):|
Data Use Restriction:
ISTAT data are released in according to Creative Commons – Attribution 3.0 Licence, available here. The redistribution to the third party, even in partial form, of data available to UniData members only is not allowed.
Source Contact: Contact Centre
ISTAT. (2011) Survey on discriminations by gender, sexual orientation and ethnic origin. UniData - Bicocca Data Archive, Milan. Study Number SN131. Data file release 1.0
The user is obliged to quote all data and documents disseminated by UniData and used in the own publications, using the information previously showed. The user is also obliged to send UniData the bibliographic citations related to the publications where the requested data and documents are used.
Neither the depositor nor UniData bear any responsibility for the analysis or interpretation of the data produced by the user.