The main UniData’s purpose is to promote the secondary analysis for the social sciences through the dissemination of data and the methodological documentation (metadata). The secondary analysis provide several advantages to the researchers, connected to the possibility to:
- carry out empirical research without considerable economic and human resources;
- realize diachronic analysis and trends;
- carry out comparative research on different territorial contexts;
- use existent data to acquire useful indications on the methodological research level;
Besides dissemination of data, UniData supplies an exhaustive methodological documentation about every survey (metadata), a valid instrument in order to support research, consultation and exploration of data for the scientific community. Therefore metadata constitute a fundamental resource for the secondary analysis since they allow to improve the methodological knowledge.
In this framework, UniData uses the NESSTAR (Networked Social Science Tools And Resources) tool, a specific software shared by other international archives and used to allow the web data analysis. The tool has been developed in collaboration with CESSDA (Council of European Social Science Data Archives) within the planning of a European common catalogue in which ADPSS-Sociodata has been involved.
NESSTAR permits a fast and immediate access via web to the data and metadata, in particular:
- to explorer the information about each survey (abstract, sample procedures, territorial unit, list of variables, questionnaire, etc.).
- to carry out statistical analysis (frequencies for each variable of dataset, cross-tables, graphics, cartographic representations, etc.).
NESSTAR is a useful tool since it guarantees an immediate access to the surveys and it allows to carry out explorative analysis without the physical possession of data.
To access to the UniData’s NESSTAR server click here